THE BLUE FARMHOUSE

THE BLUE FARMHOUSE

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Edit, Edit, Edit

     "The ability to simplify means to eliminate the unnecessary so that the necessary can speak". I found this quote by Hans Hofmann in the pages of Rachel Ashwell's book Shabby Interiors: My Rooms, Treasures and Trinkets.  
     Although, I'm not a fan of the minimalist style, I too find it  necessary to keep rooms and collections cluttered free. But it's hard I know. There are some (well, actually many) things that I would never part with and I'll name just a few:

  
Collection of white mirrors


Antique suitcases


Blue and White oval platter


Antique white cupboard


     Amazingly I have kept a journal of these collections and can tell you exactly how I acquired each one. The mirrors I have written about in my previous blogs and the suitcases I found at one of my favorite thrift stores in San Diego. The two sage green colored ones with beige trimmed I found in a thrift store for only $3 each.

      I love that blue and white platter. It's heavy and I use it for big dinners. I found it at the same thrift store in San Diego.

      Finally, the white cupboard sat on the front porch of a lady's house that I became friends with in San Diego. She had a beautiful home with lots of the same things that I liked. Everyday I would pass by her house on my way home from work and wondered if she'd sale it. Well, I decided to ask her and she said yes because her husband didn't want it in the house. But, she made me promise to never sell it because it's old and has it's original peeling paint. I just knew I was in heaven that day and it's been in my home since.

      I hope you stay around and visit me because the best is yet to come. Until next time happy collecting! Oh yeah, and blogging.

2 comments:

  1. Love your treasures and how you use them in your home. Wise words said by Hans Hofmann, I shall have to repeat it often!
    Colette x

    ReplyDelete

The Blue Farmhouse. All rights reserved. BLOG DESIGN BY Labinastudio.