THE BLUE FARMHOUSE

THE BLUE FARMHOUSE

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Polish Pottery

     The most common design includes dots, abstract florals and my personal favorite the "peacocks eye". The most recognizable today is the white or cream colored ceramic with dark blue, green, yellow, brown and sometimes red or purple motifs.

     My first encounter with this beautiful pottery came while visiting Cambria, California. It was my first time on the central coast and I was smitten to say the least. The charm, beauty, quaintness and of course the shopping was mesmerizing.

     The first pieces that I started to collect was a sugar and creme set with cups and saucers in the blue and yellow color palette. It's one of my favorites, as well as the white with dark blue and dots. Polish pottery can be pricey, therefore, I always look for pieces while treasure hunting. The pieces are unique and easily identifiable.

     While vacationing in Washington State I found a pitcher in an estate sale for pennies and at other times I've found pieces scouring thrift stores. There is a shop on the second floor of the famous "Pikes Market" in Seattle, just overflowing with this beautiful pottery in so many colors and patterns it took my breathe away.

     Since then my collection numbers about 40 pieces. Usually for my birthday or just for a treat I will purchase a piece. Buyer beware because there are imitations, but all authentic Boleslawic pottery will have "handmade in Poland" stamped on the bottom.

     I hope that on your next adventure you'll spot the "peacocks eye" and start a new collection.

     Happy collecting!


Pieces of my collection


Stamp of authenticity


The "peacocks eye"


Dots and abstract florals









5 comments:

  1. 40 pieces! wow, now thats a collection! I always loved this pattern :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me, too. I never grow tired of this beautiful pottery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found a four piece set (salt & pepper on plate) and a scoop. It's my first set and I spotted it behind the counter as I was walking out of the store.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Polish pottery! My younger son's wife's mother is from a Polish family, so I started a collection for my precious daughter-in-love. She loves it. Unless I find it somewhere like T.J. Maaxx or Marshall's, it's expensive. I'd love to have a set too! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Southern Heart
      I just realized I never replied t your gracious comment....sorry. But I have found many pieces at the thrift stores because most people don't have a clue how expensive it is and some has been gifted to me as well as estate sales.

      Delete

The Blue Farmhouse. All rights reserved. BLOG DESIGN BY Labinastudio.